Dr. Brian LeSage of Beverly Hills stopped using amalgam fillings in 1987. His practice has been mercury free for over 30 years.
Amalgam fillings contain various metals, including about 50% mercury. Are you concerned about how the materials used in your mouth will affect your long-term health? Dr. LeSage restores decayed and damaged teeth with composite fillings and ceramic inlays and onlays. These mercury-free alternatives have several advantages.
Mercury-free composite fillings contain a mixture of resin and quartz or glass. They have several advantages, including:
- Strength – They bond to and strengthen teeth. Although metal-based amalgam fillings are stronger than composite, since they do not bond to the tooth their very presence weakens it.
- Esthetics – You’ll receive tooth-colored fillings that blend with your tooth shade and look natural, unlike dark and noticeable amalgam fillings.
- Comfort – They insulate teeth and limit sensitivity, unlike amalgam fillings that often initially cause hot and cold sensitivity.
- Health – The bio-emulation (copies nature) of composite fillings matches the esthetics and function of natural teeth. And composite fillings preserve more of your healthy tooth structure than amalgam fillings.
Inlays and Onlays
Inlays and onlays are mercury-free restorations made of ceramic. Dr. LeSage uses them as a long-lasting solution for tooth decay or damage. He places an inlay if decay affects the center of a tooth between the cusps—or peaks on the chewing surface. An onlay replaces damage that affects the cusps. And whenever possible, Dr. LeSage will place an inlay or an onlay instead of a dental crown. What can you expect?
- Strength – New ceramics are extremely strong and can be bonded to the tooth.
- Esthetics – Dental ceramic mimics the color and translucency of natural teeth. The restorations will match your teeth.
- Comfort – Dr. LeSage will take digital impressions of each affected tooth to provide a comfortable custom fit.
- Health – Your natural tooth will be conservatively prepared for the restoration. We only remove the damaged portion and keep healthy tooth structure intact. Inlays and onlays don’t require your tooth to be filed down as with a dental crown.
Although composite and ceramic restorations are healthy for your teeth and look natural, it takes the skill of an experienced cosmetic dentist to place them properly. Dr. LeSage takes time to correctly bond and seal restorations for long-lasting results. If you want old amalgam fillings replaced, he uses sanitary amalgam removal that isolates you from exposure to any of the mercury-containing dust. We have been collecting mercury in our vacuum system since 2015, something that the EPA didn’t mandate until the summer of 2020.
Interested in Mercury-Free Dentistry?
Dr. LeSage wants to help you protect your oral and overall health. He will provide you with dental restorations that support your well-being. Call us to schedule an appointment or request an appointment online.