Are smile makeover before and after pictures reliable? I had a consultation with a dentist who took pictures of my smile and then showed me after pictures. The way my smile looked in the after pictures was not much better than it is now. I am afraid to move forward with the dental work. My teeth are crooked and too small. I am concerned about spending thousands of dollars for a new smile that is just okay. What can I expect? Thank you. Montana from NM
Thank you for contacting Beverly Hills Institute for Dental Esthetics regarding your smile makeover. Dr. LeSage would need to examine and x-ray your teeth to determine their condition and listen to your smile goals before explaining treatment options.
Can You Trust Smile Makeover Before and After Photos?
Whether you can trust smile makeover before and after photos of your face and smile depend on several factors, including:
- Your explanation and the dentist’s understanding of your smile goals
- The technology the dentist uses
- The dentist’s skill in transforming your smile
- The dentist’s artistic ability
- The collaboration between your dentist and the ceramist who crafts your restoration
- The quality of materials used for your smile makeover
Can You Trust a Smile Makeover Photos of a Dentist’s Patients?
Before your smile makeover begins, you can expect a cosmetic dentist to show you before and after smile makeover photos of their patients. You know you can trust the photos and the dentist’s ability to give you a natural-looking smile makeover by verifying their training and credentials in cosmetic dentistry. Look for training and accreditation in the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD) or the American Academy of Esthetic Dentistry. According to the AACD, dentists who achieve accreditation demonstrate the highest levels of these qualifications:
- Continuing education
How to Select a Dentist for Your Smile Makeover
You can select a cosmetic dentist for your smile makeover by taking these steps:
- Ask friends or family members for referrals.
- Check each dentist’s credentials on the AACD’s or American Academy of Esthetic Dentistry’s website.
- Look on the dentist’s website for evidence of how active they are in continuing education.
- Look for before and after smile makeover photos on each dentist’s website.
- Schedule a consultation with at least two cosmetic dentists to discuss your goals and concerns.
- Ask the dentist how many cases like yours they have completed.
- Take notes to compare each dentist’s credentials, experience, ongoing training, treatment recommendations, and smile gallery. Ensure you are comfortable with the dentist’s chairside manner and communication style.